Tuesday, April 7, 2015

America Reads Student Spotlight: Michelle Corriveau

My name is Michelle Corriveau and I’m from Berlin, Connecticut. I’m a freshman majoring in Psychology. I love to bake, do yoga, watch Netflix with friends and spend time with my family.  I’m involved with the Polling Institute and also tutor local kids through the On Campus Tutoring program. Next year I plan on spending my spring semester studying abroad in Australia. I learned about the America Reads program on the Career Center website. Over the summer, I was looking for a work study position and this opportunity jumped out at me. To me, working with children seemed like it would be interesting, a chance to have a job to do more than just sit at a desk. I work in a first grade classroom at Freedman Elementary, which is right down the road. Though there are challenges working with kids and it can get a little chaotic at times, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Watching kids learn and progress is really rewarding because I know I had a part in helping that child to grow and succeed. The relationship I have with the students I work with makes it all worthwhile. As soon as I walk into the classroom I’m bombarded with hugs. I have so many drawings and pictures from them that I have a corkboard in my room just dedicated to things they’ve made me. I look forward to every time I go to work because I know I have a job where I make a difference in the kids’ lives, as they make a difference in mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment