Tuesday, April 7, 2015

America Reads Student Spotlight: Simon Veilleux

     Thank you for extending the Student Spotlight opportunity my way, your consideration of me for such a role is greatly appreciated! I learned about the America Reads program by speaking with the receptionist at the office for Human Resources in Rivers. The woman I spoke with handed me the America Reads pamphlet and told me that if I was interested in making a difference in the Springfield community, I could talk with the Center for Civic Engagement in the Campus Center for more information. After some deliberation, I came to the conclusion that if I were to be working, I would want to do something selfless rather than selfish. The America Reads program is a great way for me to accomplish this because I get to spend time one on one with kids who need some extra help that they can’t always receive without the efforts from people like me. I currently am placed with sixth and seventh graders, and I really enjoy the time I get to spend befriending and working through math problems with them. After working thirty to forty hours a week for the past three years in food service, this program is a much more rewarding career for me. To drive home every day with a smile on my face instead of a grimace is something I am not used to, but I really like it.     
I am from Charlton, Massachusetts, and I have three siblings. I plan to major in Civil Engineering with an Environmental concentration, and minor in Spanish. I spend the majority of my free time on campus watching Netflix, hanging out with friends and my girlfriend, and hoping that the dining hall will have stuffing at dinner. I love to hike, fish, and I can’t wait for spring to actually start. 

Regards, 
Simon 

No comments:

Post a Comment